11. Prioritize SweepstakesOne of the basic facts about sweeping is that there are always more sweepstakes to enter than time to spend entering. That's why it's a good idea to narrow the field and focus only on the best sweepstakes. When I'm picking sweepstakes, I consider the prize first. Do I really want to win it? Secondly, I look at the odds of winning. Is there something about this sweep that gives me an advantage? The sweepstakes with the prizes I want to win the most and with the best odds of winning are the ones that I enter first. If I have extra time, I can spend it on entering less attractive sweepstakes.
12. Don't Count on Winning Any One SweepstakeSome people get their hearts set on winning one particular sweepstake, and when that win doesn't come through, they feel disappointed and discouraged. But there is always another sweep to enter, another great prize to win. I advise sending in your entries and then forgetting about them. If you win, you'll be pleasantly surprised and if you don't, you won't feel badly about your entry. Always be looking ahead when you enter sweepstakes.
13. Stay MotivatedThe third key to winning sweepstakes is a positive attitude. You need to keep entering even when you're afraid that you'll never win, or that your luck has worn off and you'll never receive another prize. An optimistic outlook will keep you going through the dry spells that every sweeper experiences. Find more information about increasing your motivation:
14. Improve Your LuckLuck really is a matter of attitude, not something that you're born with (or, as I often feel, are born without!). Here are some things that you can try to be even luckier:
15. Make It Easy for Sponsors to Reach YouIf the sponsors can't get in touch with you to tell you about your win, all of your hard work entering sweepstakes will be for nothing. Make sure that you use a telephone number that will reach you easily, and answer even if you don't recognize the caller (it could be a fulfillment agency). Check your sweepstakes email daily, and make sure that you check your postal mail carefully, too. Some sweepstakes need a quick answer, or you'll forfeit your prize.
16. Learn to Recognize ScamsWhen your hopes of winning are high because you are entering a lot of sweepstakes, and you are waiting to receive that winning phone call, letter, or mail, you want to be sure that you won't be tricked into falling for a scam. Luckily, scams have some factors in common that will help you distinguish them from real wins. Here are some tips about how to recognize sweepstakes scams:
17. Respond to Wins QuicklyOnce you've received your first win notice, act quickly to return it to the sponsor in plenty of time to process it. If you have to mail an affidavit, it's a good idea to request a return receipt, as proof that you sent it on time. If you have missed a deadline for responding to a win notice, contact the sponsor anyway. Sometimes they can make an exception, and you can return your paperwork late. Here is some guidance about how to claim your wins:
18. Track Your WinsThere are three important reasons to track your wins - first, to remind yourself of the prizes you've won in the past, helping you to stay more motivated through dry spells. Secondly, records of your wins help at tax time, if you are required to list wins on your taxes (as US residents are). Finally, tracking your wins can help you notice patterns that to win more consistently. Do you win more daily sweepstakes or one-entry sweepstakes? Are instant wins luckier for you than regular sweepstakes? Do you have a lucky time of the day? Tracking your wins can help you find out.
19. Join the Sweepstakes CommunityMany times, our friends and family members don't really understand much about entering sweepstakes. Being able to chat about your hobby with some like-minded people who have experienced everything from dry spells to the thrill of winning can provide a lot of support, and make the hobby even more fun. Plus, you can really learn a lot from your fellow sweepers, resulting in more prizes. If you're not already a part of the sweepstakes community, get started today!
20. Be a Considerate SweeperBusinesses hold sweeps because spending marketing budget on prizes is a fun and effective way for them to raise awareness of their products (and make more money). However, when sweepstakes promotions fall flat, companies start spending their money elsewhere, meaning we'll be deluged with more television, radio, newspaper, and internet ads instead of getting more chances to win.
You're not obligated to buy anything or to do business with a company to enter sweepstakes. However, taking the time to review a company's offerings, to make your dealings with them polite, and to express your appreciation encourages more giveaways.