YOU can't rent it out
- I think I read where the HOA prohibits renting out the property. If you owned the house next door, would you want "renters" in and out of this home. NO WAY. so you can't make money off the home. You would have to be responsible for the yearly taxes out of your own pocket. This is one problem with the Dream homes. Too expensive to keep. We look at these homes, we might even win it, and then we take the cash as the only option left to us. The dream turns in to a sad story, but at least you are left with some $$$$.
- —Guest Judge
should i stay or should i go now
- my family has been dreaming of moving to utah one day there's so much out there my job allows us to relocate any where so i would go and be extremely happy, I mean how bad could it be if it don't work out you sell but to atleast live in such a beautiful home and in such amazing surroundings would be be worth the headache. just don't sell the home back were you came from you may need it
- —Guest ski bum
- I think this is a BEAUTIFUL HOUSE. I'm sending all the positive forces my way so it will be mine!
- —Guest Jen
- The $500,000 would barely pay for the "gift tax". However, you could rent it out for say $5000 a week. If you ony had renters for 4 months in the year...thats 80,000. Question is how much are yearly taxes on the property? I think you would have enough...
- —Guest Snow bunny
- I totalled the taxes (fed, state, local) to be 5 -10 k over the 500k they give you. I would try to keep the house for a vacation home. Renting in out to other vacationers...that would hopefully cover the yearly taxes.
- —Guest Ski bunny
I have already packed my bags!!!
- when you need a change - HGTV show a beautiful way every year. I will love to win this place in Utah, I would do whatever it takes to keep it. Where the is a will there is a way. My family is ready, come ambush me.
- —Guest mamakt
They already solved this problem :-)
- The package is worth 2 million, but the house is only 1.5 milion. This is why they give you $500,000... I would just use the $250,000 (this is the $500,000 after the taxes on the money) to pay for the taxes on the house. Once that money runs out, I would sell it... (or rent it out for a couple weeks every year)
- —Guest bcatfish
- I think a great solution is to move in extended family like adult kids, elderly parents and provide a 3-4 income earning household to pay bills/taxes. This is based on the fact that we can all get jobs there. My family is close knit enough where this could work and the house is big and spread out enough so everyone has there own private space. Just in case plan a falls through, I entered Publisher's Clearing House. Who knows? If I'm lucky enough to win the house, maybe it'll be a lucky year. Guess I'll go by a lotto ticket now.
- —Guest Marietta
So many ways to enjoy this location....
- Growing up doing soooo many outdoor activities in New England and having two young children who love the outdoors we dream together about all the possibilities. We would fly fish with our Orvis rods we own, I was a ski racer in college and my kids now ski race so Park City is a dream, we love to snowmobile and ATV too so we would fill one garage stall with those essential toys, we love to play golf, hunt, hike, tube and waterski on the lake, and my daughter loves to ride horses. Bottom line... locations is ideal for my family (like the VT home last year). I'm not sure there is another family who would embrace this area and the outdoors like we would. I also have a great career working from home and think I could cover the taxes with my salary. It's a keeper for me and my family! :-)
Read the Rules
- You do not have to take the house. You have the choice of the home or CASH in hand. The reason for this is yes many people just could not take the home
- —Guest Mike Bennett
- My family and I have been struggling for years working our butts off for practically nothing like most families! it would be a blessing to win. My family and I would live in it for a little while then sell the home to buy a realistic home that we can afford in our area! That is our dream!
- —Guest Amanda
Live in it and pay the taxes
- It would be such a blessing to win this home. My husband, kids and I would move in. I would give God all the glory and have a huge yard sale for our current items since the home is fully furnished. Then we would use our current income to pay the tax bill and up-keep of the home while using the $500,000 wisely. Of course the bill will be high. That's expected, but when God blesses us with a gift, he also provides the way to maintain it. I'm super excited and hope my dream will become a reality.
- —Guest Makeda Rodriguez
- When I first saw this development starting near the river I have loved and fished for years I was horrified. Hgtv talks a lot about the views from the house but never about how the house has ruined everyone else's views. These are houses for self important people who could care less about our town. The people who build these abominations all over park city are the same people who have no business being in the mountains. They need strip malls and giant houses to enjoy what nature has provided all while destroying the very thing they claim to love. Often these "locals" spend only two weeks a year in these eye sores and when they are here they are rude and act like they own the place. By the way this house is not in midway or park city, It is in wasatch county. If you win this please sell everything inside and burn it to the ground for the insurance money. The new yorker designers "western" outfits are a hoot by the way.
- —Guest Midway resident
- Keep the house for three weeks or so take your favorite furniture and the sell it keep your old house keep your new car payoff your old house etc. then sell your new house come back to your old house by new furniture update it etc I love my old house and are keeping it but ill just sell the new one and keep the car you can update a house for less than $90,000 (if it's that bad and still have pools full of money and yes I know this was alot of typing and only have 497 characters left to type haha lol
- —Guest you madeME
If I won the current Dream Home In Utah
- The house is big enough for me to open as a special needs foster home, and that is what I would do. I would probably have 3-5 clients.
- —Guest lily