1. You're Wasting Your TimeIn the time that you spent entering for a less-than-thrilling prize, you could have entered a sweep giving away a prize that you'd really love to win.
2. You're Wasting the Sponsors' TimeSponsors spend a lot of time disqualifying ineligible entrants and tracking down winners. This costs the sponsors money, and can cause them to reconsider holding sweepstakes. If you know you can't win or you're just going to turn down the prize, it's better to skip it.
3. You End Up Buried in JunkI love many little prizes, like makeup or toys. But there are also some little prizes that I've won that I have absolutely no use for, yet I feel badly about throwing them away. I'd have been better off using that time for prizes I would have enjoyed more.
4. Plus, You Have to Pay for That JunkAnd don't forget, just because you didn't have to pay to receive the prize doesn't mean it's absolutely free. If you're in the United States, you need to pay taxes on those prize wins. This can be frustrating when the prize is something that you don't even want.
5. You Might Prevent Anyone from Winning the PrizeSometimes the sponsor won't continue to try to award a prize if the first winner rejects it, or will try only a specific number of times before the prize doesn't get awarded. It's a shame to keep anyone from winning a prize, especially if you knew from the beginning on that you wouldn't be able to use it.
6. Someone Else Might Have Really Loved that PrizeEven worse than being buried under a bunch of prizes that we really don't want is the thought that one man's junk is another man's treasure. It's a shame to enter for a prize that we don't want, when it means someone who would have been delighted by it will be disappointed.
But... Don't Go OverboardAny sweeper is going to end up with prizes that aren't ideal over time. I think that most people who have been sweeping for any length of time will eventually have to turn down a prize with a sponsor. I don't want to make anyone feel badly for these things, which are totally normal with this hobby.
All I'm saying is that if you're not eligible, or if none of the prizes really appeal to you, spend your time wisely by bypassing the sweep and finding another that is more attractive for you. It's better for you, for the sponsors, and for other sweepers as well.